Bancroft – Historical Timeline
• 1819 Hastings County land as far north as Dungannon purchased from Mississauga Natives.
• 1823 Remainder of Hastings County purchased from Chippawa Natives.
• 1853 Completion of survey work of Hastings Colonization Road from Madoc to Maynooth.
• 1855 Englishmen James Cleak and Alfred Barker settle on Hastings Road at Quarry (Marble) Lake.
• 1860 First cedar log street is built in York River (Bancroft).
• 1861 James Cleak opens post office in York River.
• 1865 First grist mill is built.
• 1866 Construction starts on the building of Monck Road. Completed in 1873.
• 1870 Construction of first church starts on the grounds of the present United Church.
• 1870 Schools are built in L’Amable and Umphraville.
• 1879 Name is changed from York River to Bancroft by Senator Billa Flint.
• 1884 The Woolen Mill is built by David Fuller.
• 1894 Bancroft Times starts publishing.
• 1900 The first railway, Central Ontario Railway, arrives.
• 1904 Incorporation of the Village of Bancroft.
• 1905 First telephone connected to the railway station.
• 1920 First car in Bancroft, a Ford belonging to R.J. Stringer.
• 1930 First electric power delivered to Village by Bancroft Electric Lights and Power.
• 1933 Ontario Provincial Police Department established.
• 1937 Water system installed in business section.
• 1947 Opening of North Hastings High School.
• 1949 Red Cross District Hospital opens at Hastings Street South site.
• 1949 Prospector Art Shore discovers uranium in Bancroft district.
• 1952 Construction of Faraday Mine starts.
• 1960 Bancroft Mineral Society holds its first meeting.
• 1964 First Bancroft Gemboree is held.
• 1972 New Community Centre opens on Faraday Heights.
• 1974 C.J.N.H. Radio starts broadcasting.
• 1979 Centennial celebrations.
• 1980 Beaver Dam breaks at Copper Lake; Cleak and Madawaska streets are flooded.
• 1982 Closing of rail line, which later becomes the Heritage Trail.
• 1995 Village of Bancroft becomes Town of Bancroft; Lloyd Churchill is first mayor.
• 1999 Township of Dungannon amalgamates with Town of Bancroft.
• 2002 Grand opening of the new hospital and manor. Medical clinic opens.
• 2003 C.J.N.H. 1240 A.M. Radio becomes Moose FM 97.7.
• 2010 Bancroft elects its first female mayor, Bernice Jenkins.
• 2011 York River Public School is formed through the merger of Bancroft Public School and North Hastings Senior Elementary.